Friday, May 29, 2009

BRIL #2 and chocolates...


Hello again everyone.  I'm baaaaaack!  

Yesterday my brother-in-law came for an overnight visit.  He is on his way to a new job in Colorado.  We hope that the next time he passes through he'll have his wife and kids with him. They are still in Pennsylvania until he can find them a place to live.  Anyhow, this brother-in-law is the one that used to sit behind me on the school bus and run his finger nails along the back of the seat making a most annoying sound.  It annoyed me the way a fingernail on the blackboard annoyed me.  And he would smile and smile and smile while I cringed and thought murderous thoughts about him.  Of course, now that we are adults, our relationship has changed.  NOW he does all kinds of OTHER things to annoy me!  But I love him anyhow.  Especially when he brings me lovely chocolates!  Speaking of which...

I made this Strawberry Frozen Yogurt from the book "Perfect Scoop...." by David Lebovitz.  It is THE ice cream book to have in your collection!  The book was suggested by Pam from Sidewalk Shoes.  Her blog is awesome, ya'll should check it out.  Anyhow... I made it yesterday and it was so easy!  And then it tasted fabulous!  It wasn't overly sweet, it was creamy and the strawberry flavor was absolute perfection!  I strained out the seeds so we didn't have to contend with any chewing or picking seeds out from between teeth.  All that strawberry loveliness just slid down the throat with beautiful ease!  And the chocolate in the center... that was brother-in-law's contribution.  IT was Dark Amaretto Truffle made by Wilbur Chocolates from Lititz, PA.  That is where he used to live.   The combination of the frozen yogurt and the dark amaretto truffle was bliss!  If you'd like to make this recipe here it is.

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

1 lb. fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup, sugar
2 tsp. vodka or kirsch (optional)
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice


Slice the strawberries into small pieces.  Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch (I used kirsch), stirring until the sugar begins to dissolve.  Cover and let stand at room temperature for one hour, stirring every so often.

Puree the strawberries and their liquid with the yogurt and lemon juice in a blender or food processor until smooth.  If you wish, press the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds.

Refrigerate for one hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes about 1 quart

So there you go.  I wrote out the recipe for those people who would like to give it a try.   Actually, I had intended to be lazy ~again~ and link this to Sidewalk Shoes blog, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.  She is so good about writing down the recipes on her blog.   
And for those of you who would like to try some Wilbur Chocolates you can go to www.wilburbuds.com and order some for yourselves.  I am rather picky about my chocolates, having had some of Europes finest.... so when I say these from Wilbur Chocolates are scrumptious, I really mean it!

Oh, the Dark Amaretto Truffle chocolates were a gift from my brother-in-law, probably the idea coming from his sweet wife, as was the cute quilted amish bag which I plan to use as my take along knitting bag.  Thank you sister-in-law!  ;-)  But, the other chocolate that I got...  That was all his idea for sure!!! 
Yup, this is more like him....





Thanks BRIL #2 (brother-in-law #2)  Luv ya!





Have a wonderful day ya'll!

2 comments:

Corinnea said...

The frozen yogurt looks fantastic and one of the chocolate selections looks great too!!! ha ha ha You know I am talking about those road apples!

Pookie dropped by the shop the other day!

pam said...

Wasn't it wonderful!! I am working my way through that book!