Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Spring! For real this time...


Well, I think it's finally here. Spring that is. I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever get to have spring weather. I thought we were going to go straight from winter to summer! The last couple of days has been absolutely fabulous! And our garden is finally beginning to do something. We've got heavy flowering going on on our blackberry limbs. The tomato plants are finally beginning to grow! And our strawberries are just now beginning to turn red. Now, if we can beat the birds to them! I've found several berries that have been pecked on. So, today I am going to the garden center and getting some netting. We are going to fix up a berry cage and keep those pesky birds out of the berry patch! I'm also going to plant more arugula around the mesculin mix and spinach. I think our little rabbits are enjoying too much of our leafy things and I noticed that they don't touch the arugula so.... I'm going to experiment with a new planting technique.

This is what our garden looked like two weeks ago.


Okay, so it doesn't look too different, I know. But there really is alot more growth going on just in the past two days! It's been so chilly here that the garden plants really weren't doing much at all!

See our strawberry plants? This will be our first year of picking berries. Last year we plucked off all the flowers so that the plants could concentrate on growing strong. So, this is the year we get to begin eating them...that's if the birds don't get to them all first! ;-(

Well, I need to get going. I've got a date with my friend and the "Biggest Loser" DVD! UGH!
Ya'll have a fabulous weekend and hopefully, next week sometime I'll have something to show you.

3 comments:

Corinnea said...

Gorgeous!! So glad you are having fine growing weather! I so look forward to trying gardening again...

pam said...

Looking good. UGH - I hate the Biggest Loser. Her DVD's completely annoy me.

Jessica said...

love the garden! The darn birds keep stealing all of my strawberries too!