Hello everybody. Hope ya'll are doing well. Having a great day so far?!
All is well here. I did some sewing yesterday and hope to do some more today.
Now, keep in mind that I am not a sewer! I go through spurts of ambitious sewing energy which normally peters out after about half way into any given sewing project. The reason being, I'm not good at it. Part of my problem (most of the time) is that I tend to pick projects that are out of my ability level. And I must say that that is the (direct) result of having friends who are very talented in that department. (Ya'll know who you are!) I see their work, I get excited and I want to emulate them and sew fabulous things! And so I go out and get all the necessary items and proceed to mutilate the thing I'm trying to create. This time, I found a pattern that I thought I might be able to follow. It's a one piece pattern (how difficult is that? I tell myself.) So, I made a bib. I made a bib that has a piece of coated fabric that will keep drool from soaking through the bib. The pattern is all of one piece. All I have to do is cut three pieces of fabric. One front, one lining and one back. It has no zippers or button holes. Seriously, a small child could do it, right? Well, I had issues. Naturally. I made the first one. I will show it to you but please, don't laugh too hard.
As you can see... It looks pretty good. But then...
You can see the poor stitching on both sides. I did not like that.
Yikes! It's even worse on this side!
So then, I decided I could do better. So I tried again! But first, I made a simple blanket. It's just two flannel fabrics sewn together. But, I tried something new. I tried to overstitch with a fancy stitch design. (For me that was huge! HUGE!)
(don't look too closely at the corner on the green side. I forgot I don't really need to backstitch and automatically did that.)
Okay, so the stitching is a little wonky. But, I used a different stitch design, which I've NEVER done before! So, yay me!
Then I felt appropriately proud of myself so I went and tried again to make a bib. And this time I decided that I needed to figure out a way to show as little of the stitching on the velcro as possible. And in the process, I managed to make two mistakes!
First, notice how you can't see stitching on the front of the bib? I actually, thought ahead!
See? No stitching on this side either!
Alas, I forgot to change the thread to white which would have been less noticeable AND...
The fabric on the front of the bib was upside down! BLAH!
The really funny thing (to me!) was that I didn't even notice it until I finished top stitching. Because I was SO excited about the top stitching design on the bib! (And okay, because I may have been patting myself, prematurely, on the back.)
To me, the design of the top stitching makes it look "finished".
As you can see from this post. I worked nearly 5 hours on these items and I don't have a single thing that is right. BUT, I did learn something! Evidenced by the no stitching showing on the outside of the fabric that has the attached velcro! AND, the fancy design top stitching! Again "yay me"! ;-)
Now, I will go upstairs in my cramped little sewing/laundry room and I will make a perfect bib.
Wish me luck! ;-)